“Formalize and control the activities related to the public health, public utility services, common roads and streets, Furthermore, municipality is assign to carry out task on citizen’s comfortable, protect and develop municipal facilities. “
“The Municipal Council shall subject to the owe reserved to or vested by Municipal Council ordinance or by any other ordinance or by any other written law, be the local authority within the administrative limits of the Municipality, charged with the regulation, control and administration of all matters relating to the public health, public utility services and public thoroughfares, and generally with the protection of the comfort, convenience and welfare of the people Municipality.”
Functions of the Municipality
The functions of the Municipality are clarified in the following manner in section iv part I of the Municipal Councils Ordinance (Chapter 252) of 15th August 1947.
Accordingly, the powers confirmed by the Municipal Councils Ordinance, the goals and functions of the municipal council are as follows.
- To collect and dispose garbage.
- To improve the health and sanitation.
- To construct, maintain and clean all thoroughfares and open lands within the council limits.
- To order to construct, maintain and clean all private streets & bare lands.
- To stop all nuisance activities
- To maintain public utility & recreational services anticipating public benefits and comfort.
- To illuminate all streets and thoroughfares.
Local Government History of Moratuwa
Moratuwa became a separate local government body in late 1800 century from Colombo; as local board. First Local Board meeting was held on 09th January 1908.Government Agent was the Chair Person ex officio. Two government officials and three public representatives are in the Local Board other than G.A.
First Local Board
Chair Person – L.W. Booth (Government Agent)
Government Officials – Thomas Henry R. De Zoysa, J. Kroll
Public Representatives – Gregory Marceline De Silva, Methayas Mal, Hue De Mal
Moratuwa Urban Council
In 1930 Moratuwa became an Urban Council. Fewer than eight urban wards there are 8 elected councilors and 4 nominated councilors. First Urban Council meeting was held on 01st January 1930.
Moratuwa Municipal Council
In 1997 Moratuwa Urban Council converts to a Municipal Council. In present Moratuwa municipality has 48 members representing 29 Municipal Wards.
- Laxapathiya Norath
- Laxapathiya South
- Katubadda North
- Katubadda South
- Rawathawatta East
- Rawathawatta West
- Moratumulla West
- Willorawatta West
- Willorawatta East
- Idibadda East
- Idibadda West
- Moratuwella North
- Moratuwella South
- Koralawella West
- Koralawella East
- Katukurundda North
- Katukurundda South
- Egodauyana North Central
- Egodauyana South
Mayor is the Chief Executive Officer of the Municipal Council. He and other 47 councilors who are elected in popular vote of the people in Moratuwa are involved in the decision making process how to serve the people. Municipal Council has conduct 9 standing committees with the participation of the all the councilors. Councilors are divided to separate committees as well.
- Standing committee for Lands, Houses, Vehicles and City Development
- Standing committee for Establishment affairs, Legal affairs, Administration and Security
- Standing committee for Public Utility Services and Community Development
- Standing committee for Health, Sanitary and Markets
- Standing committee for Sports, Welfare and Common Joviality Activities
- Standing committee for Environment Preservation, Social Development, UNISEF Projects, Stocks of Stores goods and Waste Materials
- Standing committee for Productivity Creation, Finance Generating and Manipulation
- Standing committee for Industries, Roads, Water Supplies, Drainage, Electricity and Street Lamps
- Standing committee for Finance
The recommendations which are taken by those stable committees are approved by the City Council (maha sabawa). The Council will held on once a month with the participations of all councilors. Municipal Commissioner is the Chief Administrative Officer of the Municipal Council. Under his supervision there are 11 Departments to facilitate Moratuwa municipality and its people.